Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mr. McClung's "What I've Learned This year"

Mr. McClung's "What I've Learned This Year" has really given me insight as a future teacher. His approach to becoming a more effective teacher is great and very helpful. His main points can be used by any teacher or future teacher. One of his points was about "How to read the crowd". He says, "In order to be effective, you have to be able to let your audience drive your instruction" (Mr. McClung's "What I've Learned This Year"). I agree completely with what Mr. McClung is saying. If teachers do not read their audiences at the time of teaching, then they may or may not know how their audience works. Every class of students is different year to year, and if teachers teach based on them alone, then they are not being effective. As a future teacher, I want and will need to know my group of students in order to instruct them properly.

Another great point that Mr. McClung made was about communication. He says, "Communication is the best medicine" (Mr. McClung's "What I've Learned This Year"). If teachers do not communicate with other teachers or students then they are not being effective. Teachers can gain great insight from other teachers as well as other students. Also, if there is ever any type of drama in a school with another teacher or student, communication should be advised before anything else. People need to talk about their differences and work them out versus not talking and holding grudges. Communication is key to teaching as well. Teachers must listen and communicate with their students in order to be effective as well.

The two lat points that I learned from Mr. McClung were about listening and learning. Mr. McClung says to never stop learning. Teachers need to learn as they grow to be better teachers. Just because teachers have degrees and certificates does not mean that they cannot nor should not learn. To me, a great tool for learning is a student. Students can help teachers learn many different things in many different ways. Also, it is important for teachers to really listen to their students. Teachers can only provide the best education for their students if they listen to what the students say.

Mr. McClung's "What I've Learned This Year" is very inspirational for future teachers. His first year teaching experience can help any teacher or future teacher. I have gained so much helpful knowledge from Mr. McClung, and I appreciate his advice.

2 comments:

  1. I looked and looked for Mr. Clung how did you find it? I never could? I emailed Mr. Sullivan asking but didnt hear a response as of yet. It's the only one I missed so far though. You sounded as if you enjoyed it. Tell me tomorrow at class and I will go back and read it. We made posters to go with our presentation. I was going to call you but couldnt find your number? I must have accidentally deleted it. See you Tomorrow Night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I think everyone who is majoring in education has some kind of fear about their first year of teaching but Mr McClung gave some great insight about what to expect and not to be overwhelmed by just having a great lesson plan but try to connect with your students and make sure they are understanding what is being taught.

    ReplyDelete