Thursday, September 10, 2009

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

I really enjoyed watching this short video on the vision of what college students are like today. I think that Michael Wesch did a great job in getting the average college student's life across to others in such a short video. Also, besides making known what the real lives of college students are like, Michael Wesch made it known that technology has advanced our students in college, yet most do more noneducational things with the technology provided such as facebook. Technology can help our generation while at the same time hurt our generation.

My college experiences have been about half and half of what the video showed. One statement showed by one student said, "I buy hundred dollar textbooks that I never open" (Micheal Wesch: A Vision of Students Today). My freshman year of college was about saving as much time as I could, so with saving time came never opening a textbook that I had spent over a hundred dollars on. My freshman year not only did I take the maximum number of hours an undergrad can take, but I was also a new member in a sorority and a majorette for my college. I had no extra time for myself, and the time I had left after classes, practices, and sorority things were not spent on school related work. I barely had enough sleep each night, but at least I made it through my first year passing.

Although I made it through successfully my first year, I had friends that did not even go to class like mentioned in the video, "My neighbor paid for classes but never comes" (Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today). I know many people paid for college classes that did not go or pass because they had missed too many classes. This video did a great job in capturing the average life of a college student because not one thing mentioned in this video have I not seen or experienced myself. Although I think this video is great, there are some things that I would add to make it more accurately represent my college experiences.

After being in school three years, I now work part-time to pay for school while also going to school full-time. I would have added in the facts about how many students have to work to pay for school. Also, I would have added in the time it takes away from learning to play a college sport or be in some club on campus. Many students such as myself are more involved besides just attending classes. To make the experiences of sports or school clubs more accurate, I would have gotten the coaches or advisers of some groups to show the real amount of time students spend in extra-curricular activities. Again, I really enjoyed this video. I feel that it captures what college students are doing in their everyday educational and personal lives.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent response Ashley! Your writing is very good and I like the way you quote and cite the video.

    Also, your suggestions for additions to the video are spot on! Perhaps this could lead to a good topic for a college student reality podcast. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete