Sunday, November 8, 2009

Michael Wesch: The Machine Is (Changing) Us

This video by Michael Wesch is interesting in the fact that he describes the "whatever" through the generations. He explains the importance of being connected soically by different networking sites, such as YouTube. He talks about how "media ecology is our environment".

Social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube do not really play a major role in my personal life. I am a busy person without having to worry about getting on the internet daily. With school, work, and my personal life, I just cannot find enough hours in a day to use the computer for my personal life. I do have a facebook and twitter account; however, I do not get on them regularly. I do think it is important for staying connected to people, but I would rather use a phone to stay connected.

As far as my current experiences in college, I stay connected with networking sites more than I would if I were not in school. With this class, EDM 310, I have gotten accounts that I normally would not use. This class has made me aware of the importance of these sites, but I still do not have enough time to spend on them like others do.

As far as my future career as being a teacher, I will probably use these social networking sites more as a job than anything else. I do think that all of these sites have many educational information to offer. Another plus is the use of blogs for classrooms. Many of the times, teachers do not really have their inofrmation pertaining to their classrooms on the internet, but with today's social sites, it is becoming more and more common. I think the use of class blogs will help me as a teacher in the future. Class blogs can not only record my student's work, but parents can stay connected as well as others. I think having social sites in the classroom can be another resource tool for both students and teachers. Media is a major role in our environment today.

Michael Wesch's video brings up good points as how our society changes through the use of media. All of his points in his video are on track at how our generations are and what they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment