Sunday, August 23, 2009

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

I enjoyed this presentation on Vicki Davis because I think we need more teachers like her teaching children the importance and knowledge of different types of technologies. Until this EDM 310 class, I have not had a computer class since high school, and that class focused on typing alone. Before EDM 310, I thought I was up-to-date with technology, yet now I understand that I need to be updated on technology. I am very thankful to have a class such as EDM 310 offered to me because prior to this class I did not know how to blog, and now I have a blog that I post to weekly.

The presentation on Vicki Davis was impressive to watch; Vicki Davis has taken a rural school and connected the students and staff to areas far beyond their town. I think that more teachers should teach technology classes because our world is a technological world. Students need to be up-to-date on the different types of technologies available to them. Every child has learning potential, and Vicki Davis stated "Where children have trouble is when you have only paper and only pencil then only certain types of children are going to succeed" (Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts). There needs to be a balance between paper and technology. Educators have to realize that not every student learns or tests the same, and Vicki Davis focuses on the technology aspects of her students. Vicki Davis understands the strengths and weaknesses of her students, and she develops her lessons around her students' abilities.

This presentation on Vicki Davis was very informing because it allows people to know that children need to be able to know what is going on around them and around the world. I think Vicki Davis has a great lesson on letting her students communicate to other students across the world. I think communicating at a young age to others across the world is smart not only because it will teach students about others' cultures, but also it can teach all students that our world can come together and help each other out. The main point that Vicki Davis mentioned that I liked most was her point on making her students feel comfortable with any technology.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true Allison. Students are going to need more and more technologically instruction in this new century. Which means, we as teachers are going to need to stay on the cutting edge of technology as Mrs. Davis is doing. It's exciting to think of our Future as teachers, isn't it!!!

    ReplyDelete